Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thing 10 ~ wikis business

I think the first time I heard of wikipedia was from a professor telling my class not to use it as a source. I heeded his warning then and continue to be wary of wikis as a definitive source. While they are often not as chaotic as Janis Joplin's during that episode of "30 Rock," there are problems.

I updated the wiki page for Unionville, Indiana. I added the info about the post office and the school and eventually figured out how to add an external link to the school's webpage. woohoo.

The best part of the wiki concept is that it is democratic and lets people get together and make what they what. Except what you want may not be reflected in the changes other people make (vice versa) and what you need may not be there at all.

Out of all the Things I've completed so far, wikis are the least interesting to me. Democracy can just be so darn messy! I am very interested, however, in the Albany County's "staff" wiki. They use it just as we use lint, listing desk schedules, circulation procedures (not just policies!), training plans, internal meeting agendas...everything. It's bold of them to have everything be so public!

No comments: